Start Spreading the News!
You have spent long hours studying and worked hard to realize your goal of becoming a Certified Genetic Counselor (CGC®), so it's time to let the world know about it!
ABGC has created this Diplomate Toolkit to help get you started. Our templates can be adapted with your own details, allowing you to send personalized notes and announcements through different mediums to colleagues, clients, friends, vendors and others who have supported your journey. It's a great way to share your achievement and the value of the CGC credential to a global audience.
Table of Contents
Put a Badge On It!
Sharing your CGC badge via social media, or adding it to your email signature, is an easy way to gain instant visual recognition from your professional network, friends and family for the achievements you've earned. Research shows that those who share digital badges on professional networking sites are discovered by potential employers six times more often than those who do not. What are you waiting for?
If you received your certification, or recertification, in 2021, right click on the badge below to save it to your desktop.
Or, click on the link below for the badge that corresponds with the year in which you received your certification.
Make It Social Media Official
Compliment your badge with social media copy that lets your professional and personal network know of your accomplishment! We’ve created the following posts to help spread the word of your success. Be sure to customize the messages with your own tone and unique experiences. Don’t forget to tag ABGC so that we can celebrate with you!
Pro tip: Update your social media profiles with your new certification. Add your new CGC credential to your name/title, and add the certification to LinkedIn’s “Licenses & Certifications” section. Their step-by-step instructions make this task easy.
Social Media Posts
- To all of my colleagues and peers, I am proud to announce that I am now certified by the American Board of Genetic Counseling. My new designation as a certified genetic counselor demonstrates that I have met established standards of knowledge, skills and practice for the genetic counseling profession. #ABGCCertification
- I am pleased to announce that I have successfully completed the American Board of Genetic Counseling’s certification exam. As a certified genetic counselor my patients and healthcare colleagues alike can know that I’ve met the genetic counseling profession’s gold standard. I look forward to this next phase of my career. #ABGCCertification
- Excited to share that I’m now an @ABGCertifiedGCs certified genetic counselor or #CGC. As a CGC I’ve demonstrated that my knowledge and skills meet established standards for the profession. #ABGCCertification #GCchat
- Another milestone achieved! In [MONTH] I sat for and passed @ABGCertifiedGCs certification exam for genetic counseling. Here’s to what my future as a #CGC holds! #ABGCCertification #GCchat
- I’m happy to announce that I’ve successfully completed the @ABGCCertifiedGCs certification exam, proving that I’ve met the profession’s gold standard. Thank you to everyone who has supported me during this journey! #ABGCCertification #GCchat
- After lots of studying and hard work I’m happy to share that I’ve received my genetic counseling certification from @ABGCCertifiedGCs. Thank you to my friends, family, peers and colleagues for their support throughout the process. #ABGCCertification #GCchat
Signed, Sealed, Delivered
You've worked for it, and here's how it should look:
Jane/John Doe, MS, CGC®
your position title
Share the News with Your Professional Network
Your certification is more than a personal honor, it also creates added value for your employer. An accomplishment announcement highlights the added depth of expertise you provide, and helps managers make wiser business decisions. Use these samples to create and share your success with your manager and employer.
Email to Your Manager
Hello, [INSERT NAME],
As you may know, I have spent the last [X] months working towards a professional certification in genetic counseling. I am thrilled to let you know that I have passed the exam and am now a Certified Genetic Counselor (CGC®)!
In addition to sharing this news, I would like to personally thank you for your support and encouragement throughout this process. I am proud that [INSERT NAME OF COMPANY] recognizes the importance of achieving professional milestones and supports its employees.
I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to put what I've learned into practice!
Thank you again,
[Your name], MS, CGC®
Email to Your Employer
Share an announcement of your new credential with your employer’s internal communications team for inclusion in the company newsletter, social media and press releases.
Please join us in congratulating (NAME/social media handle) as the newest Certified Genetic Counselor at (INSTITUTION NAME/social media handle). After months of preparation and studying, all of (his/her) hard work paid off when (he/she) passed the ABGC/@ABGCertifiedGCs certification exam on (DATE). Congratulations, (NAME)!
Pro tip: Repurpose this copy for other outlets too, such as college alumni associations, sorority/fraternity communications and places you volunteer or worship.
Sample Press Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
[INSERT YOUR LAST NAME] NAMED CERTIFIED GENETIC COUNSELOR BY AMERICAN BOARD OF GENETIC COUNSELING
[CITY, STATE, Month Date] [Insert your full name, title, company], recently received the Certified Genetic Counselor (CGC®) credential from the American Board of Genetic Counseling (ABGC).
The CGC credential is an internationally recognized professional credential for genetic counselors. Those awarded the CGC credential have completed a rigorous academic program, including supervised clinical experience, have met established standards of knowledge, skills and practice for their profession, and have successfully passed an examination offered by ABGC.
["Insert your own personal statement here. Include education and why you chose the field"]
["If applicable, insert a statement from your employer here.”]
Certified genetic counselors guide and support individuals and families who are looking for information about how inherited conditions might affect them. ABGC is a not-for-profit organization that certifies and recertifies genetic counselors.
For more information about the CGC credential or ABGC, visit http://www.abgc.net.
Share the News with Family and Friends
Everyone appreciates receiving good news, especially about achievements. You've taken an important step in your professional development, so share this important milestone with your supporters!
I’m reaching out to share some great news. As you know, I've spent the last [X] months working towards a professional certification in genetic counseling. I'm thrilled to let you know that I've passed the exam and am now a Certified Genetic Counselor (CGC®)!
I want to thank you for your support and encouragement throughout this process. The CGC credential confirms my standing as a specialist in the genetic counseling field, and reflects the commitment I’ve made to my clients and profession.
I can’t wait to put what I've learned into practice!
[Your name], MS, CGC®
Last But Not Least - Visit the Diplomate Portal
Now that you’re an official CGC, it’s time to update your Diplomate profile with your new credentials, employer, preferred contact information and practice setting. Your profile information is included in ABGC's Certified Genetic Counselor Directory (you may choose to opt out), that assists health care professionals, patients and the public locate CGCs. Just login to the ABGC Portal with your username and password. No secret handshake required, you’re a Diplomate now!