Join the ABGC DEIJ Committee
Apply by June 30, 2022
ABGC is looking for volunteers of varied perspectives, experiences, backgrounds, talents, and interests to join the newly formed Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice (DEIJ) Committee.
ABGC recently shared a Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice (DEIJ) Certification Assessment Report prepared by an independent third party, Nonprofit HR, critically and objectively reviewing all aspects of the certification and exam development and administration processes for bias and other factors that could lead to inequities for exam candidates. Using the results of the report as an initial framework, the ABGC DEIJ committee will be charged with implementing structured, intentional, and long-term efforts to promote diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice within the American Board of Genetic Counseling, primarily focusing on the exam and recertification processes. Part of this charge includes evaluating and prioritizing the recommendations in the DEIJ Certification Assessment Report that ABGC has not yet begun to address.
Volunteers are the lifeblood of ABGC’s work in fulfilling our mission and goals. It is the experience, specialized knowledge, and commitment of ABGC’s diplomates who make it all happen. To ensure this volunteer opportunity is accessible for all diplomates, we will be waiving the continuing maintenance fee (CMF) for committee members for each year they serve.
ABGC recognizes the inherent value in people of all ethnic backgrounds, talents, ages, gender identities, sexual orientation, abilities and/or other unique aspects of identity. Inclusive philosophies and practices are crucial for promoting diversity within the genetic counseling field and cultivating a sense of belonging for everyone.
Why Volunteer with ABGC?
- Volunteers play an integral role in the day-to-day activities of ABGC and contribute to the decision-making processes of the organization. Volunteers can connect with other volunteers and leaders in the profession, creating a powerful professional network.
- Volunteerism adds leadership experience, service recognition, and professional development to your career.
- As a volunteer, you can take an active part in achieving the goals outlined in the Strategic Plan.
The deadline for submitting your application is June 30, 2022.
If you wish to nominate a colleague for this committee, please email [email protected] with the colleague’s name and email address.
- Must be an ABGC Diplomate.
- Must sign a Conflict of Interest and Confidentiality agreement.
- Must complete an application.